Friday, November 4, 2011

Bottling Tomatoes

My love in life is Quilting.. But sometimes there is other stuff to get done.
I've been waiting for canned tomatoes to go on sale up as yet I haven't seen them. So I did the next best thing, maybe even better, and Bottled my own. It gives me little tingles when I see them stacked up nice a pretty on my shelf. It wasn't really that hard either. Normally I do this kind of thing with my mother. But I did it on my own, with one quick call I guess.

First you blanch the tomatoes so that the skin comes off. Just a few min is all it takes in boiling water.



                           
                               When you see the skin peel away you know your done.





  
Then cut them and cram them into the prepared jars. I really mean cram. Juice makes the tomatoes float, so remove as much as possible.


If you want to do your own look at http://www.freshpreserving.com/home.aspx
this is where I get most if my info. 

It really was not that hard, try it you might surprise yourself. Also it is I feel "Fabulous" when Iv'e created something that I will use and can last on my shelf for a long time.