Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Great Great Grandmother Applique

This is my great, great grandmothers applique block. My grandma had them stored away in her closet. She pulled them out one day to show me and I fell out of my chair. I was so thrilled! She had gobs of them. My great grandmother must have been stopped in mid design. She did this little girl applique and also a little boy applique. 





Two years ago, the Holden's had their Family Reunion. I was in charge of making the raffle quilt. I thought it would be great fun to make a quilt with our great great grandmothers swatches. She made at least 50 butterfly appliques. So it was easy to set these beautiful butterflies into a picture frame style quilt. It definitely was a hit, but most of all I felt such an   emotional attachment to the hands that began the quilt and our family.