Chipotle Cheese Kale Chips (version 1):
2 bunches kale
Blend the following:
2 c. cashew
½ red bell pepper
Juice of 1 lemon ( ¼ cup)
6 tbsp nutritional yeast
1 tbsp chipotle powder for hot (2 tsp medium, and 1 tsp for mild)
¼ tsp. salt
1 ¼ c water
Remove the large center stem from kale leaves and tear into palm sized pieces place in large bowl
Pour chipotle cheese sauce on chips and mix well
Place on dehydrator sheets without the teflex
Dehydrate for 2 hours at 145 F, then turn down to 115 for another 3 hours or until crisp
Eat them right off the dehydrator tray and try to save some for later.
It’s exciting to create new recipes. I would love to hear your thoughts to help refine this one. The chips definitely leave you with a zing with 1 tbsp chipotle.
Raw Kale Chips (makes 4-5 dehydrator trays)
by Julie Erwin
(Venice, CA, USA)
Whenever I offer my guests raw kale chips, they scrunch up their faces and go, “Kale chips?!” One bite and they are hooked. I offer this recipe and also my Delicately Sweet Kale Chips on my raw food recipe website:www.rawjulesrecipes.
com. In addition to a dehydrator you will need a blender for this recipe.
* 5 lbs. Kale (Two-2.5 lb. bags or 12 bunches) curly green kale washed and rolled in a towel
* 2 ½ cup nutritional yeast
* 1 cup tamari liquid
* 2 ½ cup raw cashews
* 2 ½ teaspoon paprika
* 10 garlic cloves
* 1 ¼ cup fresh squeezed orange juice
* 1 ¼ cup water
Blend all ingredients except kale in a blender until smooth. Pour liquid into a bowl large enough to fit at least one bunch of kale.
Remove and discard stems from kale. Tear kale into bite size pieces. Working in batches, toss kale into the bowl with the liquid and keep tossing with your hands until each piece of kale is thoroughly coated. Squeeze off extra liquid and place kale in a single layer on a dehydrator screened tray fitted with a teflex sheet. Continue with remaining kale. (You should have enough kale to cover 7-8 dehydrator trays).
Place kale laden dehydrator trays in the dehydrator set at 145º and dehydrate for 2 hours.
Lower the heat to 118º and dehydrate for another 4-6 hours.
Remove kale laden dehydrator trays from dehydrator. Kale will be slightly stuck to teflexsheets. Flip teflex sheets over and place face down on dehydrator trays. Gently peel theteflex sheets from the kale,* leaving the kale directly on the screens of the dehydrator trays and dehydrate for another 1-2 hours. When done kale should be completely dried and reduced in size by half.
Store in an airtight container.
* If you try to peel the kale from the teflexsheets instead of peel the teflex sheets from the kale, the kale will shatter in your hands. So, flip the teflex sheets and peel the teflex sheets from the kale!
• Maybe try some curry powder instead of, or in addition to, the paprika. If you like spicy foods, maybe add a 1/2 teaspoon cayenne.
• Try using a few sprigs of very fresh (i.e. you picked it in your garden this morning) rosemary …when dehydrated nibble the leaves off the stems. Delicious!
• DO NOT substitute chard or spinach - those leaves do not have enough body and will dry too thin and stick to dehydrator screens!